Monday, August 13, 2012

Back to Reality

Yesterday I got up at the buttcrack of dawn to fly back home from the AAD Conference in NOLA. Jeez louise, it sucks. Have I ever mentioned that I hate to fly???  Yeah, I despise it! But getting to the airport at 5am means there's no crowds and you get through security fairly quickly. I made it home by 3 or so in the afternoon. Had to drop my sister off at her house, stop at the grocery and get meds, whatever.

Anyway, somewhere in my brain I imagined it was a really good idea to go back to work. O_O Yeah, I know. What the hell was I thinking??  The alarm goes off this morning at 7:20 am and I think I hit it like . . . 4 times. So now it's 7:45 and I stagger up and have to eat breakfast, wash my hair, dry it, get ready . . .yadda yadda. By the time I made it to work I realize that I left my badge at home and I have to buzz security to get into the building. I stop at the soft drink machine and get a Dr. Pepper, which is something I NEVER do, but I had to have caffeine. It didn't help, but I imagined it would.

I stagger to my office, grunt hello to a co-worker and start my laptop. Another person in my department comes in, takes one look at me, and says, "Maybe you should go home?" LOL! Needless to say, I didn't last long. I was there maybe 2 hours and then gave up and came home. I fell onto my bed and took a nice 2 hour nap. I still don't feel great, in fact, if given the option I'd go to bed now (7:56pm) but I think I'll hold out a bit longer.

All of this rambling, is to say that obviously I don't travel well. I travel even worse when I get no sleep the entire time I'm away from home. I did get writing done while I was there and I got to hang out with friends and make great new ones, but the not sleeping thing is a major downer.

Tomorrow, tomorrow I'll be ready to go back to work for real. Right now, I'm just going to sit here with my window open enjoying the breeze and pretending I'm still on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment