Wednesday, July 27, 2016

WHAT MOTIVATES ME TO WRITE

Before we being let's have some Wednesday Male Hotness


So, the topic this week is what motivates me to write. And, I might say, if I knew, I'd be cranking out the words, but that's a downer attitude to have. And, I've actually been writing so that's a huge positive for me. I have over 56k on the book I'm working on so I am major stoked.

Normally, a number of things can flip that writing switch. The first would be a really awesome writing idea. I once wrote a book in 2 weeks. Yeah, I know, I'm stunned too. My utterly amazing friend Jessica was an editor for a publishing house and she called me. She was heading up a Valentine's anthology and she'd gotten no submissions and she wanted me to write one. No pressure, but she needed it in a month. *cue dramatic music* 

I jumped on that and whipped out the book Be Mine. I already had the germ of an idea and it just flowed. It was my first contemporary erotic romance and I still think it's pretty good.

The second thing to motivate me is the love of the story. I love the men in my Promises books. I love the overarching story arc and being able to come back and visit the same characters over and over. I have over 10k on the next book in the series, Broken Promise, so as soon as I finish what I'm working on now I am so back to it.

The next thing that motivates me is the need to escape. I suffer from chronic depression and it so sucks. Escaping into one of my stories where the women are totally kickass and the men are hot is often the only thing that gets me through a day. I need the escape. Unfortunately, when the depression is at it's worst I can't write. I don't have the energy or the brain power to be creative. 

Deadlines are a huge motivator! If I have a deadline, like the two weeks, I will flip into gear. It's like writing papers for college. I know when they're due and they have to be done. End of story. When I was in college I refused to lose a letter grade because I couldn't get my stuff done. 

When I visit my amazing friend Jessica Jarman, I write the entire time we're together. She motivates me, since she's writing too. We go to a coffee shop or B&N and just sit and write. There's nothing better than to sit with someone who is engaged in the same thing you are and work together. It's awesome.

Last, getting emails from readers totally motivates me. I read about how much my books are loved and it just makes me want to write. Yay!!

And that's what motivates me. Now hop on over to the other bloggers' pages and see what gets them writing.

Bronwyn
Paige



2 comments:

  1. We are definitely soul sisters. I write (and read) to escape my depression. Writing with others totally helps, though most of my authorly friends live soooo far away. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is such a great escape. I really need to get back to it. (BTW, it's Bron. Blogger freaking hates me.)

    ReplyDelete