Wednesday, May 4, 2016

WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP

Okay, so when I first saw this topic I laughed. Because, yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Truthfully, I'd go with someone dropping a huge pot of money on me and living out my life as a wastrel gabillionaire. Buuuuut, I don't think that's going to happen. Dammit! And growing up . . . yeah that's probably not going to happen real soon either since, on a good day, I average about twelve and a half. 

Anyway, the very first thing I remember wanting to be as a kid was a teacher. 
I remember forcing my poor sister, dog and stuffed animals sit in chairs as I "taught" them on my chalkboard. My Mom even bought me old textbooks to use in my teaching endeavors. 

For a brief time, I pretended I was a nurse. I read this amazing book Cherry Ames, Student Nurse over and over. 
I made my own nursing cap out of paper and would nurse my stuffed animals in the ward I created using the two bedrooms and the living room. Mom even bought me a doctor kit. Sometimes, I made my sister be a patient and she'd actually get the candy pills. She was so privileged. 

I had the usual daydreams about being a famous dancer or singer, but those pitiful professions faded in the face of becoming a pirate or incredibly warrior princess.

I wanted to be Xena before she'd ever been created. The best way to become all these amazing women was to write. I began my writing "career" at about twelve when I wrote my first book. It was all about an incredible female pirate. I don't remember much of the plot, but she sailed around, stole stuff and everyone feared and worshiped her. 

From there, my imagination could not be stopped. I could spend my days daydreaming amazing stories where I could star in each and every one of them. Yeah, I'm sure you can figure out what my grades in school were. LOL! Not good. 

I can thankfully say I've lived out two of my dreams. I was a classroom teacher for 5 years and taught in a museum for 5 years. I've also been a published author for fifteen years. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to become a warrior princess. If anyone has an idea let me know. I am so open. 

Now go and check out what the other bloggers have to say. I will see you all next week. -- Gwen

Bronwyn
Jessica D
Paige
Kayleigh

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading this I was thinking of my daughter and how dedicated she is to her interests. She would sing and sing and sing and sing but now her new thing is "reading" stories where she holds a book up and makes up what is happening based on the pictures. Your post reminded me of what I see in her. I would be right there with your mom and sister, helping you entertain a dream. And when it changes, I would support and gladly help with whatever the next big thing is.

    ReplyDelete