Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Random Wednesday Blog: What Motivates Me . . . . or Quite Screwing Around and Write Something!!!!

Welcome once again to the utterly fabulous Random Wednesday Blog! Today's topic is all about motivation. Yep, well here it is:


Thanks everyone for joining me this week . . . . And I so wish it was that easy. You know, stare at a pic of a really hot guy and bam book done. Doesn't happen, not for me. I don't think I know anyone who works this way. Of course, you'll need to check with the other Blogger Girlz to find out, but I doubt it.

I will admit that I am a procrastinator . . . a bad bad procrastinator. I don't mean to be, but I always find a billion other things I need to do other than write. When I was teaching full-time I was focused totally on my students 24/7. I had time during the summer to write so I remember cranking out 3 books. O_O Yeah, I know, that stuns me too. But I did it. When I left the classroom and went to the museum I just couldn't get myself in gear. My summers were suddenly gone because I was teaching summer camp all summer long. It didn't compute. So nothing really happened.

Recently, I was laid off from the museum due to budget cuts. :-( And my first week without work I actually finished a book. Huh, so what motivates me?? Desperation!! Sort of, but I've had Dangerous Promise sitting for so long I knew it was my time to finish it. So in a week I wrote well over 10,000 words and magically the book is done.

I've also found that music is still the great motivator. I tried writing without my MP3 player last week and the house was just too quiet. I live in a neighborhood bordered by woods so it's extremely quiet and I just couldn't do it. So music in equals tons of words. Another motivator for me is leaving my bedroom and sitting somewhere else in the house. I've written books sitting on my bed. In fact, the summer I wrote 3 I wrote so late into the night that it was morning. I think I would go to bed around 6am. But I refuse to do that now. I have to stay in a routine so I still get up with my alarm around 7:30 and do everything I would do to go to work. Now I just head to my computer.

Another motivator is taking a break. I know it doesn't sound like it, but it helps me. If I'm sitting and staring at the screen for too long I will start to goof off online and never stop. So I will actually get up and leave. I've driven to Starbucks for a drink, come home and cranked out a couple thousand words.

In the end, whatever works to motivate me to write is a good thing. The only thing I hate doing is cutting the grass though I have plotted out books doing that. It's miserable since my yard is all up hill or down, depending on how you want to look at it. I see up hill all the way.

So there you go. Those are my motivations. In the evening, if I throw in some wine, I can get even more done. :-) Now run over and check with the other ladies, Bronwyn, Jessica, Kris, Jenny, Leigh, Kellie, to see what they're up to and I will "see" you all next week.  Oh if you're headed to Author's After Dark then I'll see you for realz!!!!!!

--GC

2 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I can't wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Also, I can't believe you wrote three books in one summer. That is AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I wrote 3 books either. LOL!! Totally insane. :-) And Only 6 more days and we'll see each other!! Woo hoo!!!!!!

      Delete